ARE YOU BEING SUED BY A CREDIT CARD COMPANY OR DEBT COLLECTOR?
If you are, it’s crucial to reach out to the attorneys at Debt Shield Law Firm for a FREE Consultation to explore your legal options. We are the trusted Debt Attorneys serving the state of Texas.
DON’T NEGLECT THE DEBT LAWSUIT!
In most cases, Texas Courts grant a mere 14-day window for you to file a response (Answer) to the lawsuit. Failure to respond within this timeframe can result in a default judgment in favor of the Credit Card Company or Debt Collector, which means an automatic win for them.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A DEFAULT JUDGMENT IS ISSUED AGAINST YOU
In Texas, when a Creditor obtains a Default Judgment against an individual, they have the legal authority to:
1) Garnish your Bank & Savings Accounts.
2) Seize non-exempt property held by you or your spouse.
3) Report the judgment on your Credit Reports for an extended period.
4) Compel you to respond to Post-Judgment Discovery. This may entail providing bank statements, tax returns, and a list of assets to the Creditor. You may also be required to answer written questions under oath or appear for a deposition.
Failure to comply with post-judgment discovery can lead to Contempt of Court, which could result in jail time.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO RETAIN A DEBT LAWSUIT DEFENSE ATTORNEY?
Our fee structure is straightforward and based on the amount of the lawsuit. You have the option to pay the fee upfront in full or utilize a convenient payment plan outlined below.
We charge a flat fee for your lawsuit defense based on the amount of the lawsuit. You can either pay upfront in full or get a flexible payment plan from us.
|Amount of the Debt in the Lawsuit:||Flat Legal Fee:|
|Less than $1,000||$499|
|Over $20,000||Call for Pricing|
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT PLANS AVAILABLE
HOW AN ATTORNEY CAN ASSIST YOU
We are dedicated Credit Card and Debt Lawsuit Defense Attorneys situated in Texas. Our comprehensive services include:
(1) Verifying whether the Creditor filed the lawsuit within the legally required time frame (“Statute of Limitations”).
(2) Ensuring accurate and lawful calculations of the Debt and associated Fees.
(3) Assessing whether the Creditor is improperly requesting attorney’s fees and costs.
(4) Responding to any discovery requests served by the Creditor.
(5) Identifying potential violations of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act or Fair Credit Reporting Act. In such cases, your attorney can pursue counter-claims or separate lawsuits in Federal Court to seek compensation.
(6) Managing all communication with the Creditor and the Court on your behalf.
(7) Providing a strong legal defense in the Lawsuit.
(8) Negotiating and settling the lawsuit for a significantly reduced amount compared to the original debt, with the possibility of removing negative credit report entries.
WHAT IF I FAILED TO RESPOND AND A DEFAULT JUDGMENT WAS ISSUED
If the Default Judgment is less than 30 days old, your Attorney can file a Motion to Set Aside the Default Judgment or a Motion for a New Trial. To qualify for this, you must have missed responding to the lawsuit due to a mistake or accident, not intentional neglect or a deliberate decision to take no action. A valid reason must exist.
Alternatively, you have the option to file an Appeal within 21 days of the Default Judgment in Justice Court.
Additionally, your debt defense attorney can negotiate a settlement with the Creditor, arranging a manageable payment plan and often significantly reducing the outstanding balance.
Lastly, if your Bank Accounts have been frozen due to garnishment or if you are facing overwhelming debt, your Attorney can provide guidance on pursuing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy to discharge the entire debt and unfreeze your bank accounts.